My best friend, Erin is leaving to go to Rwanda for a year and so I took the opportunity to go visit her this past weekend in NYC, where she currently lives. I have visited her two times before since she's been living there, but this time I was accompanied with two other high school friends Bridgette and Missy, as well as Missy's sister, Lisa. We had a wonderful girls' weekend in the city. I have been to NYC many times before, but managed to do lots of things I had never done before during those trips. Bridgette and Missy had never been, so we tried to pack in as much as possible. Friday night we all took a boat cruise in the East River and around to the Hudson and saw the city at dusk and after dark, and came VERY close to Lady Liberty! That is one landmark I had never gone to see, and had never really seen except from a distance. The boat cruise was fantastic fun! Saturday we got up and went to Midtown to show everyone Rockefeller Center and shopped a little at FAO Schwartz, as well as sightsee a little. Then Bridgette and I headed south to Canal Street to shop Chinatown. We did not last long there in the heat and sweat and crowds, so decided to go even farther south and saw Wall Street and the World Trade Center. I embarrassingly admit in all my trips to NYC I have never been to the financial district, before or after 9/11. So I am glad to have seen that area. Missy and Lisa went to a Mets game that night while Bridgette, Erin and I had dinner at a quaint little italian restaurant in the East Village, followed by an attempt to meet Lisa and Missy for desserts at Serendipity (from the movie). That was a 2 hour wait at 10pm, so we went to the Marriott Marquis at Times Square to have desserts and drinks (I chose a "mocktail") at The View which is a rotating restaurant lounge with 360 degree views of the city. Amazing!
Sunday began with Erin completing the NYC Half Marathon! Go Erin! Then lunch at La Bottega at the Maritime Hotel near the meat-packing district followed by a walk along The High Line. Then Bridgette and I headed to see Wicked, which was possibly THE best Broadway show I've seen. It definitely deserves to by #1 or at least tie with Les Miserable. We went to meet Erin at work (yes, she had to work a few hours on Sunday) at her office, followed by a dinner at a Brazilian Steakhouse (a first for me), and a trip up the Empire State Building (a first for me to do at night).
Overall we had a perfect weekend, with nice, but hot weather. Smooth travelling with no flight delays, just a few hiccups in the subway, which Bridgette and I shortly quit the subway in favor of taxis. It was probably my last "mini" vacation for a long time, so I soaked it in. Shane had Paula all weekend and except for a messy house, he did exceptionally well! Here is a link to all the pictures.
6 comments:
This looks like such a fun trip! Glad to see a post on here about Mama and not just Paula Grace - although I do like those! We Mamas need to have fun, too! Great pics of the city! So exciting for your friend going to Rwanda! Is she going for business? Or mission work? My sister is moving to Hong Kong for 2-3 years in October, so I can understand you wanting to see your friend before she leaves. Not sure if I will make it to Asia in the next few years, so I try to spend every moment I can with Monica! She is excited, but sad! And I will miss my nephew!
We will be in TN for Labor Day..let me know if you will be in town - maybe we can FINALLY get together! Love to read your blog! Keep it up! Will you be starting a 2nd for the new little one or continuing with this one?
She is a lawyer in NYC and is taking a year off and working with International Justice Mission as a volunteer in Rwanda. I will keep the same blog...I consider it our family blog, so we'll just be adding to it! I believe we will be in town Labor Day. Just email me details!
Great pics! I love the Statue of Liberty but, if you go back and take the fam when they're older, like the Ellis Island tour even more- I think it would actually be pretty kid friendly. Oh, and I definitely blew off going to see the World Trade Center in 2000 to go shop in the Village. Hating that decision now. I'm glad you had a good time!
Great pics Angela!! I was just thinking about how white I thought I was!!!! haha!!! See you soon!!
Well, when you can't go to the pool bc your child is nuts at the pool, this is what you look like in the summertime.
Hey girl!!! I apologize!!! I certainly meant that in a joking manner! I have been with you and I know what Paula Grace is like at the pool! I got tired of going because it is no fun to have to stay in the water with Marcus, granted at least he stays in the water. I suppose I should be grateful!! You look great in all the pics, and happy! I will see you soon!!
Post a Comment