Sunday, November 14, 2010

Proverbs

I started reading the bible in a year with our church. We are reading it chronologically and I'm excited because I've never done this and I get confused about the historical succession of events in the bible. I got behind a little because I got caught up in my own studies in Proverbs. Proverbs takes a LONG TIME to read (if you soak in each and every verse) and I started reading the other day because I looked up a verse and I just keep getting stuck there. I wonder why?? I'm sure He is trying to tell me something. Anyway, here are a few scriptures that I've been holding onto lately:

"A fool's mouth lashes out with pride, but the lips of the wise protect them." Proverbs 14:3

"An honest witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies." Proverbs 14:5

"Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy." Proverbs 14:10

"There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death." Proverbs 14:12

"Even in laughter the heart may ache, and rejoicing may end in grief." Proverbs 14:13

"The wise fear the Lord and shun evil, but a fool is hotheaded and yet feels secure." Proverbs 14:16

"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." Proverbs 14:30

"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid." Proverbs 12:1

"Fools show their annoyance at once, but the prudent overlook an insult." Proverbs 12:16

"Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers all wrongs." Proverbs 10:12

"Whoever conceals hatred with lying lips and spreads slander is a fool." Proverbs 10:18

"When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." Proverbs 11:2

"Wealth is worthless in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death." Proverbs 11:4

"A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy person keeps a secret." Proverbs 11:13

And this is the scripture that took me to Proverbs. I think it is one that I need to have framed and put on my refrigerator so I read it every morning as I grab my coffee creamer when I wake up. Seriously! If we all heeded this and realized what power we have in our tongues!

"The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Proverbs 12:18

PS. We are feeling better at the Alexander household. Nathan still has his ear infection and he is in pain, but he is taking his antibiotic and doing better.

1 comment:

Becka said...

Thanks for sharing this. I also nned to print these out & put on my frig!!