Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I lost the battle of the dogwood

Ever since we moved into our house Shane has wanted to cut the dogwood down in front of the house.  He has good reason to want to, the roots are jabbing into the side of the house, it hinders the view of the house, and drops leaves and buds all over the driveway..  My reasons for keeping it: it's pretty and I like it.  But when Paula Grace heard daddy wanted to cut it down she, with her big brown eyes, convinced daddy he couldn't do that because she loved it too much.  Then it budded in the spring and the bees showed up in droves.  For two weeks it sounded like constant humming all day long.  Then Nathan got stung by a jellow jacket and so the battle was lost.  We were eating dinner one night inside and heard the sound of a chainsaw and now the tree is gone.  I have to admit, it did clean up the outside curb appeal of the house, but I'm still sad to see it go.

He started with this small chainsaw and had to finish the job with the heavy duty one.

Broken hearted little girl.  But she has been assured she can plant another dogwood somewhere else


Nathan thought it was awesome.  "Daddy cut tree down chainsaw" he said for days

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Sorry about your tree.