Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Great article

Saw this article in WSJ this morning. It's about sanitation and the effect of no bacteria in children's lives and the increased risk of allergies, asthma and other auto-immune disorders that have come about largely in the 20th century. The last paragraph reads:

Many experts advise common sense. "We don't want to say to children, 'OK, play by the dirty river bank and catch whatever you can,' " says Dr. Weinstock. "But we can say there's nothing wrong with kids playing in the dirt. They don't have to live in total sanitation, and they won't die from eating something off the floor. It's probably more healthy than not."

Well that makes me feel better for letting PG eat off the floor. Whew! But seriously, I always knew there had to be a benefit to having a not-so-squeaky-clean house.

3 comments:

Kathy Bush said...

Samuel likes to drink out of the doggie fountain at the park...oh well.

CHERIE said...

Makes me feel better about my house! Ha!

Kate Andrews said...

I am not a germophobe, but I have a friend who is OCD and quite manic about keeping her daughters 'clean' and germ free. She is crazy about it! I sent this, as she knows my view on the subject, and we had a good laugh! Thanks for sharing!!