Friday, December 10, 2010

Elk Roast

Shane's elk meat came yesterday from Montana. We have 270 pounds of elk meat in the freezer! He had to clean out old deer meat just to make room for it in there, and the freezer is literally full across the whole deep freeze to the rim. If you come over to our house, chances are you will be eating elk.

So we defrosted a roast for our first taste. When Shane was out there hunting he went by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and picked up a book that is part cookbook and part meat processing and handling guide for elk and other big game. I glanced through it and found a roast recipe and I modified it somewhat. We will see! I am cooking it really low because my crock pot cooks fast and elk meat tends to get tough if cooked too done.

1 Elk Roast

Cut up potatoes

Bag of baby carrots

1 cup water

2 beef bouillon cubes

1 clove garlic

Hopefully it is tasty! If not, back to the drawing board on the roast. I figured less is more starting out. I would have thrown in an onion if I had one, and I may throw in some red wine once it cooks a little while longer...

1 comment:

Laurie said...

So how was it? And if it's good, do you have enough elk for me to buy some off of you? HA!