Thursday, February 26, 2009
Sick baby
Obviously by the previous post little Paula had a temperature last Saturday. Sunday she woke up with no temp and hasn't had one since. But she's been a bit irratible and having a hard time napping. She has also been waking up at night, which is uncharacteristic of her. Then yesterday she was overly irritable to the point that I didn't know what to do for her. She was walking to the high chair like she was hungry, but would scream after she took a bite of anything. She was acting very odd. So I called and got her into the doctor. We got there at 4 for our 4 o'clock appointment but waited to see a doctor until 5:15. It was a horrible hour and fifteen minutes of waiting. While we were in the patient room waiting she basically screamed like she was in pain for 30 minutes. I came out to ask the nurse about 5 times when the doctor would be in, and at one point actually said (as I'm crying) "I don't know what to do...I think I'm gonna have to leave, but she's in pain, so she needs treatment." It was AWFUL! When the doctor finally was able to come in we were both crying. So awful. But she figured out what was wrong very quickly. No ear infection like I'd suspected. She has a viral infection in her throat that has caused cold-sore type sores on the back of her throat and one on the inside of her cheek. (Which explains why it hurts for her to eat). But since it's viral, you can only treat the symptoms until it goes away. Bummer. So we are giving her the OTC medicine and one prescription to help the pain and soothe her throat. She slept great last night and is doing good so far today. Oh, and the doc said this is very common to see with kids that put their hands in their mouth alot (which she does since she's getting her molars in right now). So she could have picked it up anywhere. Guess you can't shelter them from every germ! Just glad I now know how to help her feel better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
oh my goodness! poor paula and poor mom. feel better.
Oh poor thing. How horrible of a Dr. experience for you both. I'm glad she's feeling better though...and after reading your blog I'll have to keep that in mind that it's even possible. Who knew?!
That is the saddest thing! You know it's bad when you, yourself are crying in the waiting room. Feeling helpless is the worst. I'm sooo glad she is feeling better. I'll bet she gets her apetite back in no time and then it will be on! :)
Oh gosh, poor Paula Grace and poor Mom! I'm glad to hear she's feeling better! Cyber hugs for you both. :)
Post a Comment